Varicose veins are a very common problem with a lot of people around the world. This condition is when abnormally enlarged veins appear close to the skin’s surface. They usually occur in the thighs and calves when the veins develop weakened walls or poorly functioning valves, which regulate blood flow.
According to the U.S. Department of Health and Human Services, varicose veins affect an estimated 25 percent of women and 10 percent of men.
Varicose veins can cause restlessness, fatigue, pain, and feelings of tingling, burning, throbbing, or heaviness in the legs. But they also look pretty ugly, and they are a concern for many people.
There are a lot of factors contributing to varicose veins. The most common ones are heredity, occupations that require a lot of standing, constipation, obesity, use of birth control pills, and hormonal changes in the body during pregnancy, puberty, and menopause.
We all know that the medical and surgical treatments for treating varicose veins can be very expensive. That’s why we’re presenting you some home remedies that can not only decrease the severity of the varicose veins but they will also reduce some of the discomfort they can cause.
Witch hazel is a very effective herb for strengthening blood vessels and therefore can reduce symptoms of varicose veins. Besides being an astringent, it also contains gallic acid and several essential oils that can help reduce the swelling as well as the pain.
1. Soak a washcloth in witch hazel and place it on the affected area. Do this two or three times a day for one or two months.
2. Alternatively, fill a tub with lukewarm water and add 10 to 20 drops of distilled witch hazel. Soak your legs in the solution for at least 15 minutes. Then wash your legs with clean water and pat them dry. Follow this remedy once daily for one or two months.
Apple cider vinegar
Apple cider vinegar is a wonderful treatment for varicose veins. It is a natural body cleansing product and it also improves blood flow and circulation. When the blood starts flowing naturally, the swelling and heaviness of varicose veins will decrease to a great extent.
1. Apply undiluted apple cider vinegar on the skin over the varicose veins and gently massage the area. Do it every day before going to bed and again in the morning. Follow this remedy for a few months to reduce the size of varicose veins.
2. Add two teaspoons of apple cider vinegar to a glass of water and stir well. Drink the mixture twice a day for at least one month to see positive results.
The essential thing to treating varicose veins is increasing the blood circulation. Massaging with olive oil can help increase circulation, and with that, reducing pain and inflammation.
1. Mix equal amounts of olive oil and vitamin E oil and warm it slightly. Massage the veins with the warm oil for several minutes. Do this twice daily for one to two months.
2. You can also mix four drops of cypress essential oil in two teaspoons of warm olive oil and massage with this mixture.
Garlic is an excellent herb for reducing inflammation and the symptoms of varicose veins. But it also helps break up harmful toxins in the blood vessels and improve circulation.
1. Slice up six garlic cloves and put them in a clean glass jar.
2. Extract the juice from three oranges and add it to the jar. Also add two tablespoons of olive oil.
3. Let the mixture sit for about 12 hours.
4. Shake the jar and then put a few drops of the solution on your fingers. Massage the inflamed veins with the solution in a circular motion for 15 minutes.
5. Wrap the area with a cotton cloth and leave it on overnight.
6. Repeat daily for several months.
Also, it’s really important for you to include fresh garlic in your diet.
Cayenne pepper is considered a miracle treatment for varicose veins. Being a very rich source of vitamin C and bioflavonoids, it increases blood circulation and eases the pain of congested, swollen veins.
1. Add one teaspoon of cayenne pepper powder to a cup of hot water and stir it well.
2. Drink this mixture three times a day for one or two months.