When someone talks about whiskey(or whisky), you probably think about cowboys who are hard drinkers as old western movies used to show or you just know about the overwhelming smell that you may not be a huge fan of. But there’s more to that because whiskey actually has a ton of benefits that will surprise you.
Health Benefits of Whiskey
Whiskey is not only low in saturated fat, but has lower cholesterol and sodium than most other alcoholic drinks. Thanks to the ellagic acid of this beverage, whisey can give you the following benefits:
- Weight Loss – Drinking is often associated with the so-called beer gut. But whiskey, when consumed in moderation, will not affect your weight. Because it has no fat and very low amounts of sodium, this alcohol can be broken down by the body for the energy.
- Anti-Dementia – There are studies that show whiskey can boost your cognitive function and even reduce your risk of developing Alzheimer’s and dementia.
- Heart Health – Have a healthy heart by drinking whiskey moderately, which can lower your chances of having a stroke or hearth attack up to 50%.
- Reduces Blood Clots – It was discovered that whiskey can reduce blood clotting, which is essential when you are wounded, so you don’t lose a lot of blood. But too much blood clotting can be disastrous, especially if you have high cholesterol as this can result to thrombosis, strokes, and even death.
- Cancer Prevention – With the high amount of ellagic acid in whiskey, the antioxidant neutralizes harmful free radicals in the body to prevent a wide variety of diseases, including cancer.
- Anti-Diabetes – Drinking whiskey on the regular can reduce diabetes risk by 30% to 40%. This is because this drink can help regulate your glucose and insulin levels.
- Digestion Aid – Many people actually drink whiskey to help cure their digestion woes. Drink whiskey after a meal, which can aid in relaxing the body, particularly after eating too much food. What’s even better – especially for people on a diet – whiskey can reduce your appetite, so you avoid overeating.
- Cold and Flu Prevention – Battling colds and allergies is not difficult if you like drinking whiskey. As a matter of fact, this alcoholic beverage is like a cough syrup. Also, the alcoholic content kills the bacteria in your throat, therefore, eliminating your cold and flu.
With the antioxidant in the drink as well as the other benefits it offers, it is safe to say that with moderate consumption, whiskey can help promote a healthy and long life.