Companies that produce makeup and other personal care products rank in billions of dollars each year from consumers. They bust out new products all the time, and the United States government doesn’t require any mandatory testing for these products before they hit shelves.
Even if you’re careful to avoid toxins in your food, drinks and household cleaning products, they may be lurking somewhere you didn’t expect – in your makeup.
You might regularly check food labels, but have you ever thought to check your makeup labels? What about your other personal care products? Lipstick, deodorant, shampoo and other personal care products are usually not required to undergo testing. Many don’t even contain a full list of ingredients.
If you apply lipstick a few times a day, each day, you could be ingesting high amounts of lead over the course of your lifetime. Chemicals aren’t just ingested. They can also be absorbed through your skin, which makes your makeup a major culprit.
Heavy Metals In Your Makeup
Canada-based Environmental Defense group tested 49 different makeup items in a report titled “Heavy Metal Hazard: The Health Risks of Hidden Heavy Metals In Face Makeup.” They tested 49 different makeup items, including:
- 5 foundations
- 4 concealers
- 4 powders
- 5 blushes or bronzers
- 7 mascaras
- 2 eye liners
- 14 eye shadows
- 8 lipsticks or glosses
Researchers found serious heavy metal contamination in virtually all of the products. Of the products tested, 96% contained lead, 90% contained beryllium and 61% contained thallium. They also found that 51% contained cadmium while 20% contained arsenic.
The bad news: most of the products contained an average of four out of the eight metals tested. The even worse news: each product contained an average of two of the four metals of the highest concern, which were arsenic, cadmium, lead and mercury. These metals are known to be toxic, and they can trigger many serious health issues.
A few years ago, an FDA report listed 400 different lipsticks that
contained trace amounts of lead. The report added that the levels were low, so they did not pose a safety concern. Dr. Mark Mitchell, co-chairman of the Environmental Health Task Force for the Nationaln Medical Association disagrees. He said, “Lead builds in the body over time and lead-containing lipstick applied several times a day, every day, can add up to significant exposure levels.”
Exposure To Heavy Metals Can Increase Your Cancer Risk
In the Canada study, 51% of the products tested contained cadmium. Cadmiun is a known carcinogenic material. Research has found cadmium in breast cancer biopsies. It’s used be cancer cells to multiply in lab trials. A serious concern is the fact that many of these metals don’t cause serious health problems immediately. Instead, they cause the body to develop problems over time. With consistent use, they may increase your risk of cancer, reproductive disorders and many other health issues.
Lipsticks To Avoid At All Costs
- Maybelline Color Sensational (#125 Pink Petal)
- L’Oreal Colour Riche (#410 Volcanic)
- NARS Semi-Matte (#1005 Red Lizard)
- CoverGirl Queen Collection Vibrant Hues (#580 Ruby Remix)
- NARS Semi-Matte (#1009 Funny Face)
- L’Oreal Colour Riche (#165 Tickled Pink)
- L’Oreal Intensely Moisturizing Lipcolor (#748 Heroic)
- CoverGirl Continuous Color (#025 Warm Brick)
- Maybelline Color Sensation (#475 Mauve Me)
- Stargazer Lipstick (#103c)
- Revlon Matte (#009 Fabulous Fig)
- Sonia Kashuk Luxury Lip Color (#27 Mauvey)
- Avon Beyond Color (#558 Mad for Mauve)
- L’Oreal Endless (#530 Mauve Amour)
- Revlon ColorStay (#375 Ripened Red)
- Burt’s Bees Lip Shimmer (Toffee)
- Revlon Super Lustrous Peal (#631 Luminous Pink)
- Revlon Super Lustrous Peal (#643 Satin Plum)
Safer Lipstick Alternatives
- Coastal Classic Creations Canyon Lipstick
- W3ll People Extreme Lip Gloss
- Maia’s Mineral Galaxy Lipstick
- Organic Infused Lip Love Lipstick
- Bella Mari Pure Mineral Lipstick
- Isoi Bulgarian Rose Lip Treatment Balm
- Rejuva Minerals Pur Lips Lipstick
Check out the video below for some lead-free lipstick ideas: